Saturday, May 2, 2015

What is a Celestial Marriage?

Saturday, May 2, 2015
What is a Celestial Marriage?


In the beginning, Adam and Eve were united through an unbreakable celestial bond by a loving Heavenly Father in the Garden of Eden. It was the first of its kind on the earth. Thus began eternal marriage. This principle is taught and encouraged among the families of the members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints still today.


 

An insightful LDS church leader, F. Burton Howard of First Quorum of the Seventy, made a beautiful statement in a conference address to the worldwide LDS congregation in April of 2003. He remarked,

If you want something to last forever, you treat it differently. You shield it and protect it. You never abuse it. You don’t expose it to the elements. You don’t make it common or ordinary. If it ever becomes tarnished, you lovingly polish it until it gleams like new. It becomes special because you have made it so, and it grows more beautiful and precious as time goes by.


MY MARRIAGE COVENANTS

Obviously this quote touched me because I can relate to its powerful message. My marriage and my temple covenants are of the utmost importance to me because they bind us (and our children) together for eternity. As I read Elder Howard's sweet description of what marriage should really be and how it should be cared for, I felt like shouting "AMEN!" There is nothing that would cause me to not want to treasure my marriage and to polish it when necessary. It will need polishing now and then. We simply need to recognize that. I just feel that Elder Howard hit it on the head when he put it into words this way.

WELCOME TO MY MARRIAGE BLOG!

This blog is dedicated to eternal marriage and celestial families. My personal goal in this life is to live up to the covenants, or promises, that I made before my Heavenly Father and my eternal partner, and ultimately to my children nearly 23 years ago in the temple, The House of the Lord. Through temple covenants, we are promised the fulnes of God’s glory, eternal lives, eternal increase, exaltation in the celestial kingdom, and a fulness of joy.

I will continue to share more thoughts, truths, and wisdom concerning how to ensure a happy and eternal family in this blog throughout the coming months as I learn and grow in my own education about marriage. Nobody has all the answers or a perfect marriage, but I am seeking them out line upon line, precept on precept. I welcome any thoughts or questions from readers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment