Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Seven Basic Principles for Making Marriage Work

HAPPY AND SECURE MARRIAGES

Did you know that there are seven basic principles for making marriage work? Until this week, I certainly didn’t. In fact, I was pretty confident that my marriage was healthy and quite secure. As I read the first few chapters of Dr. John M. Gottman’s book by the appropriate title, The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work, I realized that my happy and secure marriage could actually use a little work...perhaps a lot of work!


WHO SUFFERS THE MOST?

The first thing that caught my attention and that I'd like to point out is the indication that when marriages go sour, the couple involved does not limit the suffering to just the two of them. Despite efforts to minimize the hurt, the children always seem to suffer the most. I have seen this first hand as I interact with 8 and 9 year olds on a daily basis as a 3rd grade teacher. Divorce may seem like the most intellectual, reasonable, and viable option for couples who struggle to make a happy home. But, as Dr. Gottman points out, marital hostility that begins at home simply carries over into the divorce and usually becomes even more elevated and miserable for the poor children who become the ping pong balls in a constant battle for the upper hand.


THE FOUR HORSEMEN

If more couples would take a moment to digest some of the great advice Dr. Gottman offers in this book concerning repairing marriages using the most basic principles found here, I believe firmly that the divorce rate would take a rapid decline and children would be spared much of the unhappy circumstances they find themselves in these days. He teaches that the happiest marriages are based on true friendship and emotional maturity. He also assures that some marital conflicts simply cannot and perhaps need not be resolved.
The book outlines four signs that a marriage may be in trouble. As I read this part, I began to insert my marriage into the scenarios and found, unfortunately, that it fits some of these. This was troubling to me. However, I also found that our mechanisms for overcoming these challenges are often what Dr. Gottman recommends. I would like to focus my attention particularly on the second sign...The Four Horsemen.
This second sign includes what is referred to as “The Four Horsemen.” These are habits that married couples seem to acquire over the years once the honeymoon is over and we realize that neither of us is even remotely perfect.
·        The first is criticism, involving harmful negative comments about your spouse. I’ll admit…I am guilty of that on occasion. So is my husband. We tend to criticize because we know each other so well. Still, it's not a good thing to do.
·        The next horseman is contempt. Contempt is extremely poisonous and typically leads to utter disgust between spouses. We don’t have much of that in our marriage…whew! 
·        Defensiveness is the third. These do not necessarily come about in order, by the way. I am super guilty of defensiveness. I think we both are. When my husband and I discuss issues, one or both of us is often on the defensive and not open to the other person’s opinion or thoughts at times. We need to work on being less defensive from the onset of a conversation.
·         And the last horseman is Stonewalling. This is a great tactic used more often by my dear husband. Whenever I get critical or defensive, he simply stops talking and basically stonewalls me. I am guilty of turning around and giving it right back when he does. Where does that get us? Nowhere! Dr. Gottman mentioned that men are especially good at stonewalling. This frustrates me because I want to talk things out until it is resolved. I am still looking for answers concerning how to prevent this from continuing in our marriage. 
     Criticism              Contempt               Defensiveness             Stonewalling
WHAT I LEARNED

Perhaps the greatest thing that I learned from these chapters is that my marriage is not doomed because we fall victim to the four horsemen and other signs that indicate trouble for married couples. We have one thing in our corner that will help a marriage stay together. My husband and I are friends. We are best friends, in fact...always have been. This is the key to making marriage work in a nutshell. Dr. Gottman said that the foundation to his approach is to strengthen the friendship that is the heart of any marriage. 

I am excited to continue reading this book and sharing Dr. Gottman’s wisdom with anyone and everyone that I can. I am excited to learn how to strengthen my friendship with my husband. I believe that people give up on marriage way too easily in our modern society. I don’t want to see any more children suffer as a result. I wish I could buy a million copies of this book and pass them around the world!


Here is the link to Dr. Gottman's book. You can get it for less than $12 at Amazon.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment